Who is Rob Sheppard?
Its very hard, at least for me, to describe who you are…I tend to fall back onto the usual crutch of describing factual things related to education and work, things that actually don’t adequately describe who you really are, but I had to write something, so here goes…
I was born in Gloucester and now live in East London; I studied Physics (BSc) and then Computer Science (MSc) in Birmingham; I have worked in Cheltenham, London, Glasgow, Sacramento, Minneapolis;
My post-graduate IT career started with the C programming language, and I spent 20 years as a C++ programmer working on financial trading systems at investment and commercial banks, both as a freelancer and an employee.
In 2017 a reorganisation at my current employers meant I had to move internally and I am now working in Big Data as a Software Engineer, involving Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Spark and more.
I’ve had a long term interest in photography, and even called myself semi-pro at one point when I worked occasionally for a Russian fashion magazine, and my images were published by Vogue and bought by a large advertising agency, but I realised that I did not like being told what to take photos of,
My interest in SEO stemmed from photography, when I was running an online image library and trying to compete with other “one man band” photographers, who at the time had not cottoned on to optimising their websites.
My interest in quantum physics is fairly recent, despite reading physics at university, which I was quite bad at anyway. Its grown since hearing and seeing radio and TV programmes explaining the quantum world for the lay-person, and finding out about practical applications for explaining phenomena, especially in the natural world.
- XQD and CFExpress
- Bash: Some Date Functions
- SQL: Difference Between UNION and UNION ALL
- Concerns over the Leica Q2
- Have Leica broken Back Button Focussing on the Q2?
- Why I’m OK with Crop-Zooming on the Leica Q2
- Sensor Crop Factors
- Leica Q2 Crop Options
- An approximate lens formula: i/f = o/d
- Light and the Inverse Square Law
- Leica Q Firmware 3.0 Set-up of Auto-ISO in Manual Mode
- Leica Q Crop Modes
- How to set-up Auto-ISO in Manual Mode with Exposure Compensation on the Leica Q
- Modern Exposure Technique: “AIMMEC”
- How to set Back Button Focus on the Leica Q
- Back Button Focus – what it is and why use it
- Tips for First Time Catwalk Photographers
- Why faster lenses focus quicker and more accurately
- Hasselblad X1D Disappointment